6.17.2008

i am so domestic

....uh, that's a joke. although, i do have to say - i'm getting GOOD at managing 47 loads of laundry per day.

my domesticated, married-with-kids life has obviously yet to appear (although i keep telling brad i REFUSE to be older than 30 to have my first child, sooo...just 4 more years, haha), and while i certainly have mastered the art of helping to run someone else's household, running my own is a far-off thing. hopefully not too far, right, brad? :) anyway, every now and then i get this deep urge to iron my linens and cook really good food, and today was one of those days.

now, here's the thing - if i were graced with a super high metabolism, i would be visiting the Paula Deen website every freakin' day. i grew up eating that kind of food, and believe me, i would much rather eat something fried and dripping with butter than ice cream or sweets. but since i don't, and since i value my size 6 jeans, i am resigned to cook things like fish and vegetables, veggie burgers, chicken fajitas sans rice/tortilla, and other boring, healthy foods. but every now and then i come along little gems of recipes that are really, really good and really pretty healthy.

and with all that said, here's the one i discovered this morning -

COLD CUCUMBER SOUP
  • 2 Large cucumbers, grated or thinly cut
  • 1 finely minced garlic clove
  • half a palmful of fresh dill, minced (i used a whole palmful, i like dill)
  • 2/3 Cup of light sour cream (i would usually use FF, but needs to be a bit thicker)
  • 2/3 Cup of light Greek yoghurt (recipe calls for full fat, i did half fat free & half full fat)
  • 1/2 liter of organic, boxed chicken broth
  • salt and white pepper to taste
mix everything together, and blend in a food processor or blender to liquify cucumbers. you can garnish with chopped avocados or tomatoes, or a spoonful of sour cream.

and that's it! it's SUPER easy - it took me a little bit to make it cause you can't buy boxed chicken broth here, so i had to actually make some from cubes. but otherwise, i would say the most time consuming part of this recipe is grating the cucumbers. it's perfect for summer, and tastes even better when you let it chill in the fridge for a while.

my next recipe i'm attempting is Lettuce Wraps from the Martha Stewart website. they look super good, and make me think of the Lettuce Wrap appetizers at Big Bowl in Minneapolis. yet another thing that makes me antsy for home....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok so on this note, I wish I could eat healthy so i can be down to a size 6 again. And I too wish I had a high metabolism! Maybe if I went to Sweden, where everyone is skinny, I would lose weight. Too bad you wont be there much longer in a way so I have time to come visit. Pregnancy just makes things worst unless you follow a good eating plan the whole time which I did not at all!