9.14.2007

2 weeks down!

Today marks the last day of my first full week on the job completed. I've now been here for almost a full two weeks, and it's been great, so far. I couldn't have asked for a better family to work for - they are definitely a gift from God!
So, I have good news, and bad news. We'll do the bad news first, cause that's what we all like to get out of the way: I lost my camera :( It makes me sick to think about it, and it's just a weird situation...I went out with a couple of American girls I had met this last week, and I took my camera to the girl's house, was taking pictures, and then we all left and I left the camera at home. We came back late and all stayed the night there, and the next morning, the camera was nowhere to be found. Searched the house...and it wasn't there. These girls all had their own cameras and none of them would be likely to take it...so I have no clue where it could have went. So, I'm living abroad without a camera. Sucks, cause it's not even motivating for me to go out and see things cause I can't document all that I see. If you know me, you know that I LOVE taking pictures. That will have to be resolved somehow, soon...
But the good news is that I'm spending my birthday next month in Paris! I've met this awesome girl named Connie who is also an au pair but in France, and she asked me to come visit. Well, my family here is going to be in Chicago over my birthday, and didn't know that they'd be gone on my birthday, so because they felt so guilty for leaving me alone they're going to fly me there! Can't get much better than that.
I don't have big plans for the weekend...I'm meeting a girl tonight for dinner, and Klara is having her birthday party tomorrow, and I might hang out with some of the girls in my Swedish class. Sunday I'm going to church, which I'm suuuuper excited about.
Hm...that's all the news here. Thought I'd share with you some more Funny Things About Sweden:

1.) Dogs are everywhere. People bring their dogs to restaurants, into the bank, into the subway...it's incredible.
2.) Some smaller homes/apartments (such as my cottage) have this funny little shower - there's no fixed walls around it, just these two movable glass doors that close in on each other when you're not using it, and you open when you are, to block the water. So, there's no barrier, really, to keep the water from spreading all over the bathroom. It's very annoying.
3.) They don't fold their towels here, they're all on hooks. Bathroom towels, kitchen towels..they all hang on a hook, not on a bar.
4.) The radio stations that play the Top 40 also play kind of strange American music - I've heard these random Phil Collins/Genesis song a few times, and some Madonna songs that haven't been played in years, and the occasional George Michael song. It's funny...but I don't mind it, cause I usually have like those songs in the past and forgot about them.

And, I made my first couple "Euro-fashion" purchases this week! I bought a pair of zip-up boots to wear over my jeans, and two scarves and a little black hat. That's about as Euro as I can get...Connie, my American friend in Paris, tells me it grows on you. That will be an act of the Lord.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

NO not your camera!!! How weird that it disappeared! It seems like you are having fun of course and PARIS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY... for like free!!! Grad school is good and I have close to no social life because of it! I miss you though! I'll read ya later!

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Hi Seanna,

You are in Stockholm? I am jealous. I was in Europe 30 years ago (Belgium), and visited England, Netherlands, France, Germany, Switzerland (my favourite), Italy. Stockholm was too far north for me. My late wife have some Scandinavian dolls, but that is all the connection we have with Scandinavia.

But I have a travel blog and it will be nice to have some digital photos to decorate my blog. Any chance you may be able to email me some digital photos of Stockholm?

Thanks for leaving a comment in my post Display images side-by-side. I have responded to your comment. Any further problems, just comment again.

Peter (Blog*Star)
Dummies Guide to Google Blogger
"online book" in progress