9.27.2007

to the norrlands


Tomorrow morning I have the extreme pleasure of catching a taxi to the airport at 6:30am to pick up the little peanut, Klara, from her grandparents house in northern Sweden, which is also known as "Norrlands." I have literally no idea where I'm going tomorrow, just that it's, well, North. Klara has been spending the week up there with them, and she's too young to fly alone (just turned 5) and so they're sending me up there for the day to pick her up and bring her home. My flight leaves at 10am from Stockholm, and departs from the norrlands at 5pm. Or 17.00h, as the Swedes would say. Most people know northern Sweden for that famous ice hotel, and for the northern lights, and the all-day sunshine in the summer and all-day darkness in the winter. Apparently it's gotten cold up there already, so I guess I need to bring a winter coat. It'll be nice to see a different part of the country, cause I really doubt otherwise that I'd make much effort to go any farther North (read: COLDER) than I already am.
I also would like to complain about the banks here, which I've probably already done before. But seriously, how can something be THAT inefficient and nobody cares?!? One thing to point out is that the banks here are not like the banks in the states - you don't wait in a teller line to make a deposit, or cash a check. You don't sit at the banker's desk to open an account, or sign up for Internet banking. Nope, you walk into the bank and take a number. Number 79, not bad. You hold your breath as you walk around the corner, praying that the flashing number being serviced right now isn't lower than 75. Inwardly you groan in annoyance when the number is (of course) 71. You take a seat in the already-full lobby (probably next to a lady with a dog...in the bank), and wait as person after person goes up to the counter to conduct their business, whether it be cashing a check or opening up an IRA fund, with one of the two people working.
I've noticed here in Stockholm that customer service is definitely not a priority for companies. It is not their job to serve you. It's their job to stock merchandise and get the store discount. Sales associates are usually not dying to help you out, or be in detail with any question you ask them. Except of course, at the bank. The bankers-tellers-managers love to sit and talk, and explain this product, and that policy, and what you need to do when this happens, or that happens...all the while you're waiting next to the lady with the dog as the numbers sloooowly creep up to 79.
The sad thing about all of this? I only went to get the balance in my account. Needless to say, I signed up for Internet banking today...

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh that would just drive me NUTS. That's like the social security office here (did I ever tell you that story?)...but seriously, how ridiculous. PYTL for Internet banking. Have a safe trip tomorrow, sounds like a cool place to go, even for a few hours!

Peter said...

Wow...have fun up north. The fall colors are in full bloom here in the cities. We miss you.