9.24.2007

i miss...

Having just finished my third week here in Sweden, I would say that homesickness is starting to kick in...nothing bad, I'm not coming home anytime soon, so don't worry! It's not so much that I miss HOME, but rather, certain things back home. Let me walk you through them...



1.) the fall in minneapolis

something about this picture (from my new favorite photographer, see below!) automatically makes me think of the perfect autumn day spent at the orchard, picking out apples and pumpkins, drinking hot apple cider underneath a blue sky with a cool breeze, all the while bundled up in a thick sweater and tall boots...and for me, at least, something about autumn makes me want to be with people I love, spending those great days at the orchards. Don't get me wrong; autumn here in Sweden has been beautiful. But there's something about a good 'ol Midwestern fall that you miss when you're not there.



2.) country music...on the radio

As you all well know, I love me some country music. It's almost all that I listen to on the radio, back home...and here there is definitely no country music station. Understandable...I doubt Swedes want to hear songs about being a proud American. But I still miss it. There's also something about the fall that makes me want to roll down the windows and play some Sugarland or Rascal Flatts really loudly. However, the radio stations here aren't bad. They do play an odd mix of songs, but there's some Top 20 stations that I like listening to. But it's not country music, and that's what I want, dangit.



3.) my favorite food in the world AKA chipotle

Was anyone waiting for this one?? Okay, again - the food here isn't bad at all. I really like it, actually. But when I think about the things I miss, this definitely tops the list for me. Believe me when I say there is nothing like a vegetarian burrito bol loaded with all the bad stuff...cheese, guac, sour cream. My mouth is watering at 10am just thinking about it. I think one of the things I miss the most about Chipotle, though, is its convenience. You go in, order food, and take it home. Or wherever. But here, there don't seem to be many of those places, and cooking at least two meals every single day gets a little old after a while.

I had a short talk with Annelie's father last night. He was in town for the evening to pick up Klara to take her home with him for the week (I'm actually flying up to the "Norrlands" to get her on Friday...it's very far North and the place where it's dark all day in the winter and light all day in the summer). So I ran into him, and he was asking me if I was a Swede yet, and we were laughing and I said not yet, but well on my way. I mentioned that I was beginning to miss home a bit, and so we started talking about homesickness, and he made some really good points - he said that it's important to not always long for home, and that you CAN be living somewhere physically and have your mind be living elsewhere emotionally. Meaning, I might be living here in Sweden, but missing home (and the things of home) so much that I'm emotionally living at home. He also said that it's important to not just live in a culture and understand the way people speak, but understand why they think the things they do. He's a smart man, and while I wouldn't say that I'm emotionally "living at home" in any stretch, I would say that his words spoke to me and where I could potentially see myself going if I'm not careful.
The solution to homesickness? I think it's to get out and see things. There's so much of Stockholm that I haven't even began to uncover, and nows the time since the weather is so great! I'm not so motivated to go and look around, honestly, cause I can't take pictures of it. But I ordered a camera and it should be here soon! Then I'll be all ready to spend hours walking around and getting lost.
Alright - laundry is calling my name and I'm getting paid to answer it. Here's to Mondays around the world!! Love you all :)

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

Seanna-i miss talking to you. Hint hint

Anonymous said...

I love you. I'll buy you Chipotle when you come home. ;)

Anonymous said...

MMM Chipotle is a very good choice; I had never had it until I moved out to the DC area and usually get it about once a week.