9.18.2007

goodness.

I am one of those people that is easily overwhelmed by a number of things - shoes, jewelry, beverages, ice cream, cereal...the list could go on. What overwhelms me about them is not really relative to the point of this post, but just so you know, what I find so overwhelming is the amount of selections we have. Every time I go into a gas station, it takes me forever to pick out a drink. Brad and I went to get ice cream at the grocery store one night, and I didn't want what he picked, so I decided to get my own. We were in there easily 30 minutes as I wandered back and forth between the 3 freezers full of ice cream. Let's just say I have a hard time narrowing things down.

However, what I'm overwhelmed about today is the goodness of God. I realize that going into something like this could've really turned against me...this family could've been crazy, or I could've hated the city, or not had any friends yet. But at every corner, there is something good waiting for me. Now, I know that hard times will come. But literally, everything here has been beyond what I could've even thought to ask God for. Seriously. As I've said before, my family here is amazing. They are so generous and kind, and always welcome me in their home, and have basically said what is theirs is mine.

The best thing that happened this last week, though, was meeting a girl named Matilda and going to church on Sunday. I met this girl, Matilda, very randomly - okay, on MySpace...I had to make connections, right? - and she ended up being a Godsend. She loves the Lord with all her heart, and was immediately willing to take me in to her group of friends. I thought about it before I met her, and I realized that, sadly, I don't know that I'd be so welcoming to a foreigner in MY country. Sure, I would welcome them, but would I take the time to meet them, and invite them into my life? Probably not. But she took me in, and took me to church with her on Sunday. It was so, so great, and exactly what I need while I'm here in Stockholm. This church is amazing - they're very prayer-focused, love worship, and really understand the idea of a community. It's in an old theater in Stockholm, and it's not set up like a traditional church - instead of having row after row of chairs, everyone sits at little tables that are stocked with coffee, tea and sweet bread. While I was there I met a couple of other American girls (and other girls, just not Americans), but Matilda is in a cell group with them and has invited me to come along. Hopefully I will be able to go...my schedule changes a lot, so it will vary weekly.

All this has shown me that God does love us infinitely and perfectly, and wants to give us good things...the good things that we don't even know to ask for. And for that, I'm thankful.

On a side note, everything is going well here. I am confirmed for Paris (yay, Connie!! www.parisaupair.blogspot.com) in October for my birthday, and don't have any other travel plans, as of yet. For the fall, at least. Possibly in November will be going somewhere. And for New Years, we'll be going to Phuket, Thailand - yeah, the place where that plane just crashed? - for two weeks. Oh! And for those who know me well, I got my first parking ticket...yes, it's possible that even on the other side of the world, I can't escape them. But really, I have a good excuse! I can't read the machine...and the coins I'm trying to use don't seem to fit in the slot. So, there.

I have to go pick up the kids now. But to end on a funny note, I've fallen twice this week. Once on the street in Stockholm (can I help it that it rains every 20 minutes here and the ground was wet?) in front of a TGI Fridays, cause apparently they have them here too. And the second time I cashed it down the stairs in their house. Their stairs are spiral-y, meaning they turn around on themselves, and narrow in on the sides. I must've been stepping there, and was in some slippery socks, cause I caught an edge and fell alllll the way down. Yes, it hurt. Bad.

**design credit for the above graphic goes to Ashley Baldwin...I am not smart or artsy enough to have created that on my own**

3 comments:

Peter said...

Thanks for the updates, Seanna! It's great to hear the right choice was made to go over there. Wow, Paris for your birthday! Pretty amazing.

Bobbie said...

Jealous...thats all just plain jealous. I was telling a co worker today that i felt like i wasn't doing anything exciting with my life. see what you've done to me!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah I'm with Bobbie! Fighting the jealousy right now! I love that you managed to get a parking ticket in Sweden!!!