9.26.2007

new favorite

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I can tend to get overwhelmed by things - namely, large quantities in which I have to make a selection. I guess I shouldn't use the words "have to" cause typically those "selections" I'm making are along the lines of jewelry, clothes, or ice cream. But stores like TJMaxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc, all tend to overwhelm me a bit because there's no order to anything in their store. You're simply broken down by size, and maybe style. You'd think that would be enough for me, but it usually just frustrates me cause I feel like finding one great shirt in a giant row of 200 shirts is like finding a needle in a haystack. This is also how I justify not buying clothes that are on sale; the sale racks are usually disastrous and overran with women who want to add just one more $8 shirt to a pile of shirts they already have, that they probably don't even wear. I ALWAYS wear my expensive clothes*.
Also, recently I've been looking at all my clothes/shoes and thinking that I like my clothes, but sometimes I wonder if I'm getting the full potential out of them. Meaning, am I missing combinations that I could be putting together? Or adding the right accessories? Lord have mercy, where are Christina Strot and Claire Yeager (WHAT is her new last name??) when you need them...
So anyway, shopping can usually overwhelm me, but yet I love an outfit that's really complete. And you know who always has a complete outfit? CELEBRITIES. I love looking at the clothes they wear, cause I either really like them or really hate them. To get to my point, I've discovered a blog - frugal fashionista - that takes outfits that celebrities wear, usually on a day-to-day basis, and breaks it down for you in a cheap way. Like the shirt that Cameron Diaz had on that probably cost $400? Here's one from urban outfitters that cost $29.99! She does this with the entire outfit, including accessories, and her "cheap" finds are usually nearly identical to what the celebrity is wearing.
This, my friends, is genius. In my mind, at least. I've already picked out a couple of outfits that I know I can put together with clothes I already have, but I never would've thought to wear on my own. And it helps that most of the stores are located in the US, so buying the clothes isn't really an issue for me :) I would also like to add that many of the outfits these celebrities are wearing are very European-inspired. This country does something to your mind...makes it want to suddenly care about your hat matching your boots. I didn't even wear hats back home. And yes - I'm eating my words. I said before I came that I'd never get into Euro-fashion, and here I am...Boot-crazed and searching for the perfect handbag to go with my new scarf.

*In my defense, I DO buy clothes on sale. Sometimes.

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

Seanna-- You make me smile.

Peter said...

As a guy I can say this blog was foreign to me, but I enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...

If you like Frugal Fashionista then you might also want to check out: http://fashionunder100.blogspot.com. My friend writes it and tries to keep all outfits with accessories under $100.