9.08.2007

lazy weekend and quirky things

Here in Stockholm, it's 12 in the afternoon and I'm laying in bed. It's raining out, so my plans to get up and go for a run were squashed, and I don't have anything going on for another hour. So...here I am. In light of my laziness and boredom with the Internet, I thought I would write a blog about the different, funny things here in Sweden that I've come across.

THE OFFICIAL LIST OF FUNNY THINGS IN SWEDEN
1.) Maybe it is just the Karlsson family and the fact that they have three small children, but their doors to their house are always wide open. It is not uncommon for me to look out my window and see the side door flung open and not a soul in sight. There are no screen doors, so I guess bugs are allowed free reign in their homes?
2.) There are no screens on the windows. I've had my windows open quite a bit - shoot, I slept with them wide open last night - and surprisingly have only seen one flying insect in my cottage. 3.) There are no bars for towels here, just big nails in the wall that you hook your bathroom/kitchen towels on. All towels come with a little tab on the end of them to hook onto the nails.
4.) You never walk with your shoes on in a home here - they strictly come off at the door. Even at the kid's daycare you have to take your shoes off!
5.) There's no censorship on TV here - was watching it last night and was surprised to see female body parts flashed across the screen.

So, this is just a little list that I'm sure I'll be able to add more to over time. Things are still going very well - felt my first bite of homesickness this morning, but it was nothing bad. Just a little loneliness.
I'm going driving today with Annelie to practice using their car. I already know how to drive a manual, thank God, but the roundabout things seem a little tricky. It'll be nice to finally get behind the wheels of a car!
Here's a couple pictures for everyone -












This is Klara...she's 4, loves pink, and loves to say, "mine sit on your ka-nee?" - translation - "Can I sit on your knee?"












Me on the day I arrived, in my cute little cottage





This is my cottage! It's small, but very nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That kind of sounds like the Seattle area minus the rain part. I see you are having fun. I enjoy reading your blogs.